1.07.2008

Tomato Aspic (Yeah, I know... It's gross)

This is a recipe served at my family's Christmas Eve dinner EVERY YEAR since forever. We are very Southern and pretty old school.
 

I have always been disgusted by gelatinous, vibrate-y foods and never deigned to touch it. One year I tried it. I didn't hate it and we'll leave it at that.
 

When I moved out west and it became more and more difficult to get home for the holidays I started embracing some of the dishes that reminded me of home. I swallowed my pride and called my dad, who snickered and said he had to call Aunt Babe, the matriarch of our family. She shared. The few times I've prepared this dish not a soul will touch it - people don't even want to really think about it's presence on the table. I can't say I blame them, but at least it helps me feel a little closer to the family for the holidays.
 

Here it is... 


Aunt Babe's Tomato Aspic

Dissolve one small package of lemon jell-o in one cup of hot water.

Add 1 can of tomato soup
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon horseradish
1 pound of baby shrimp, and grated onion to taste

Pour into mold and refrigerate overnight.

Garnish with mayonnaise and parsley.

Note: Using crab meat and adding something hot are options.

No comments:

Post a Comment