1.06.2010

Orange Crush


I have to admit, I have really fallen off the recipe part of this blog lately. The truth is I have been dining out way too much and not cooking nearly enough. I don’t think I’ve even stocked up on food for the house since the massive shoporama prior to my Christmas party, like 3 weeks ago. I have been working a lot. I have also been, well, out a lot. Today was the first day in a long time that I had some quality home time sans distractions. Today was the day to take stock of whatever food soldiers have made it to this point – and were still going strong – in my refrigerator. I hate to waste anything. Other than the fridge fossil fuels, milk, eggs, cheese, butter and my echo, there was only one option to work with. A pound of carrots.

Time to make some soup.

I’m not certain (well, maybe I am), but I think I have a crush. I don’t want to talk too much about it and I don’t want to lend it too much of my head right now. I also have not yet discussed this breaking news with my crush. As is the nature of this beast I don’t know if the crush mirrors my feelings or not. I think so? Oh, hell, I don’t have a clue.

I haven’t had a crush for a while, it seems. Maybe I have – it’s hard to remember that when you have a new crush. The old crushes vanish into thin air and weren’t really crushes anyway. Not like this one. What’s sort of funny is that my last crush… was this crush… but it was a little ways back. Then I wasn’t crushing any more. Now I am again. I'm nothing if not fickle. April tells me I've been blind and have been crushing the entire time. I don’t know. Maybe she’s right. If she is, it makes the whole thing sooo romantic, yeah?

I am thinking that rather than have a whole melodrama fiesta, heavy conversation, come-to-Jesus type of thing I am going to (try) to just play with the concept of having my crush. I am going to enjoy moments as they are happening. It’s always so unfortunate when the pretty moments get skipped over due to obsession with the next moment. I always think back on past relationships and recall that the crushy part was so much fun. Embrace the moment and all that.

So today’s soup had all of these thoughts, and more, stirred into it. It’s an uncomplicated soup but full-bodied and confident in it’s simplicity. The sweetness of the carrots and the pop of the ginger and cumin create an obvious yet unlikely marriage. Like John and Alice Coltrane. Tenor sax and harp. Tidy suits and rainbow-y mumus.

So I don’t know what’s going to happen. Well, I do know what will happen with the soup. I was referring to the crush. I guess I’m a little unnerved. But only a little. Heather calls it spun out – which I find to be totally cute and entirely appropriate.

I’m going out with Yvonne tonight. But on my way I may just drop off some soup on crush’s doorstep. Eek!

Hey, it’s fun to dork out sometimes…


Crushy Carrot Soup with Ginger & Cumin 

Serves 6 

INGREDIENTS
½ stick of unsalted butter
1 ½ pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground ginger
4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons walnut oil
4 cups vegetable stock
½ cup heavy cream
a pile of sage leaves, divided (half fried in oil)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste


DIRECTIONS

Melt butter in large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 5-7 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add chopped celery and carrots; sauté 10 more minutes. Add stock and bring to rolling boil. Add cumin, ginger and sage leaves. Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer until carrots are fork tender, 30-35 minutes. Cool slightly.

Puree soup with immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in cream.


Heat soup to a simmer. Ladle into bowls. Top each with a drizzle of walnut oil and a fried sage leaf. 


Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment