7.27.2012

I Am the Ostrich, Coo Coo Ca Choo.


When I was in college, a group of us in Victor Garcia’s Spanish class went on a trip to Mexico – ostensibly to study the language while immersed in its culture. Fortunately for me, a lot of my closest friends, and my boyfriend, Paul, were in that group. I also had a pretty big crush on Victor Garcia. Not the kind where I wanted to get in his pantalones, but more the kind that I just wanted to be part of his life, his family. He was just so great. And his wife and son were great, too. Very happy. And, he was so attractive.


The program took place in Cuernavaca. We were all assigned and lived with ‘host’ families during the stretch of this program. There were four of us in my house. I shared a room with Carl, who, on that trip, became Ray Ray (he bought a pair of Ray Ban’s from a street vendor and later discovered that on the lens read Ray Ray’s in lieu of Ray Ban’s. The die was cast. He was forever Ray Ray.)  Ray Ray was a short, bald, black, flamboyantly gay young man. At the time I had cut my hair off (myself) into, what I thought would be, a pixie cut, and dyed it canary yellow (myself). And so, in traditional, machismo-infested Mexico, the six-foot tall girl with the cut-off jean shorts, Pac-Man tee shirt and canary yellow hair and the short bald, flamboyantly gay black man roamed the streets. We most definitely got rocks thrown at us from passengers on buses.

I will say, however, that my Spanish was great during this time - though more from hanging out and drinking beer and tequila in the bars with the locals than as a result of the program. Or maybe that was the program…

After the ‘school’ part of the trip, a core group of my friends and I split off and went rogue, exploring Mexico the way we wanted: backpacks, hostels in cities, hammocks on the beach, café con leche, homemade mescal, and a lot of bouts of Gin Rummy. Very late one night, I believe we were in Oaxaca; Amy, Paul, Mike, Ray Ray and I were sitting in our hotel room, drinking tequila, smoking and playing round after round of Gin Rummy. At some point during this evening, at some ungodly hour, we all decided to figure out our animal. We became fixated on getting them just right and spent hours doing so. Here’s what we settled on: Amy was an owl, Mike was a walrus, Paul was a koala bear, Ray Ray was a jaguar, and me – I was an ostrich. What a gyp! I couldn’t even get to be a flamingo? Nope, I was an ostrich.

It made sense, I suppose. I was very tall, awkwardly skinny, had that whole hair situation and I was certainly not the most graceful bird in the land. To be fair, I don’t think Paul was feeling very masculine about being a koala bear. But it really did fit.

Wondering how I’m going to wrap this one back around, aren’t you…




About seven or so years ago, I started going to Santa Barbara County for little trips, long days, short weekends, etc. for wine tastings and micro-getaways. I have been with a few people, and I’ve been by myself. I love the tasting rooms, the wineries, the landscape, the food, the people, the drive up and the drive back. It’s very dear to me. There is a pretty cool place in between The Hitching Post, in Buellton and the little, Danish Colony in Solvang. It’s called Ostrichland. Yes, it is. Ostrichland!

Used to be you could roll right up and see, touch, feed, and be bitten by, the birds (they have emu and ostriches). Now you have to pay. But a measly $4.95 is more than worth all that one experiences in Ostrichland. Did you know that ostriches have the ability to run at maximum speeds of 43 mph, the fastest land speed of any bird? And, the Ostrich is the largest living species of bird and lays the largest egg of any living bird!

The largest egg in all the land? I clearly had to have one. So, at about $30 a pop, I bought one ostrich egg that is the equivalent to approximately twenty chicken eggs.

Other than turning the shell of the egg into a lamp base or some such thing, what was I going to do with an egg that big? This question plagued me for quite some time. So much time, in fact, that I realized I had better do something with the egg or it would simply go to waste, and all I would have is the shell with which to make a lamp base or some such thing. I needed to move fast as y’all all know how much I loathe to waste food.

While I really did like the idea of one, ginormous deviled egg, I realized I would have to make scramble-ness with the egg if I wanted to keep the shell intact for my lamp base (or some such thing). I looked around and saw my rainbow of heirloom tomatoes and it hit me: frittata.

  
And so Fred and I went about making the most enormous frittata of all time. For the two of us. It was a really interesting process, getting the eggy insides out without compromising the shell. The dish took the better part of the morning to cook through as it was a LOT of egg. It filled an entire, large, cast-iron skillet almost to the top. I guess you could say it was really more of a crustless quiche. And it was very tasty. While I couldn’t decipher a real difference in the taste of the egg from that of a chicken egg, I will say that it was much fluffier and lighter than a chicken egg. 



And now I have the shell. I can’t imagine what on earth I’ll do with it. But I like it.

So here’s the deal; after my multiple visits to Ostrichland and bonding with its residents, I guess my animal being the ostrich is not so bad. I’m not really that gawky and lanky any more, but I’m still pretty tall. My hair is not hacked off my head in my personal attempt to resemble Mia Farrow in Rosemary’s Baby, nor is it canary yellow. I can’t run all that fast, nor do I really try. But, like the ostrich, I’m kind of goofy, kind of awkward, not very graceful, love to eat, and have my own brand of cuteness and allure. I have also been known to bite.

 


For the recipe below I am providing you with the recipe with the standard measurements rather than the ginormous ostrich egg version. If you would like to try this with an ostrich egg, multiply everything by four...




Heirloom Tomato & Fresh Basil Frittata



Serves 6

INGREDIENTS
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons butter, cubed
6 large eggs
¼ pound ground sausage
6-8 slices of red onion, very thinly sliced
3 Tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
3 Tablespoons grated gruyere cheese
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tablespoon chopped pistou basil
Handful of green and purple basil, mixed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 pounds ripe heirloom tomatoes (mixed colors & sizes), cut crosswise into 1/4" slices


DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350°.
Brown sausage in a 10-inch (2-inch-deep) ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 7 to 8 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; remove from skillet, and drain. Wipe skillet clean.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl. Stir in sausage, cheese, pistou basil and garlic, cubes of butter and season with salt and pepper. When oil is shimmering, pour egg mixture into pan and cook until eggs begin to turn golden brown around the edges. Arrange tomato slices, red onion cirlces and basil leaves on top of egg mixture. (Some tomato slices may sink.)
Transfer skillet to oven and bake frittata until eggs are just set in the center, 10-12 minutes. Using a heatproof spatula, loosen frittata from pan and slide onto a warm plate. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.
Printable recipe.


Three years ago: Vichyssoise


34 comments:

  1. That is such an interesting post, looks like you had a wonderful time. Thanks for converting the recipe to a regular egg version. I wouldn't know where to search for a gigantic egg, this time of the day ;)
    This is an awesome treat!
    Anyways, your phenomenal photos have caught our attention, we have been in the lookout for unique and interesting bloggers since we have launched our food photo gallery http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery/ This will allow you to showcase all your great work and share it with our visitors. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your frittata looks gorgeous! I loved this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful frittata! And a hilarious ostrich pic :-)
    I love this post - pinned :-)
    It would be great if you shared this recipe (and others) on RecipeNewZ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely gorgeous. I'm a huge fan of rustic, delicious dishes like this. I can practically taste it already! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumgoggle - Thanks for the kind words - I have already been to your site and posted some cool pics!

    And thanks you guys, for reading my story. I'm glad you liked it! Let me know if you try the recipe - and how it turns out!!

    I will check out RecipeNewz post haste!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was reading about mexico thinking now how is this going to relate to ostrich eggs and bam you're the ostrich! love you're writing elliot the stories are always so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing. I love those giant tomato slices in the eggs. Btw, I saw decorated ostrich shells all over the place when I was in Africa last year. You can paint it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful dish! I found it on pinterest and i immediately fell in love whit it :) I'm vegetarian and i'll have to replace some of the ingredients. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Letissia, That's great that you will convert it to suit you. Please let me know how it turns out!
    XO, Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found this on Pinterest and tried it this morning. I'm a vegetarian, so I left out the sausage. I was nervous about the gruyere cheese because it's not one of my favorites, but this recipe was delicious, easy, and simply perfect. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A -

    I'm so happy to hear that you made the recipe and that you converted it to suit your diet. I'm even happier to hear that it worked out so well!!

    Thank you for letting me know about it. Love it!

    -Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  12. I come back with your recipe in vegan version. I hope you'll like :)
    it!http://ricettealverde.blogspot.it/2013/06/farfrittata-ai-pomodori-di-belmonte.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. First time visitor to your blog (via Pinterest) and your post did make me giggle. I found ostrich egg to taste the same as chicken eggs too, which is not as obvious as it sounds, since many eggs I've tried do taste different...

    Love your giant frittata!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great information about wilderness for beginners giving the opportunity for new people. days gone vest

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing this premium article free of cost i really like your article . you can alsoshop here

    ReplyDelete
  16. oliviarodrigomerchshop.comThanks for sharing this premium article free of cost i really like your article . you can

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing very informative article.playboy hoodie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your site is truly cool and this is an chromeheartsoutfit extraordinary rousing article.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a very nice blog and learned more knowledge to read this post fmerchandise.com thanks for sharing this informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Continue to send in more valuable and astonishing information on your blog so that we enjoy it.champhoodies.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a charming and amusing story! I couldn't help but wonder if you might stumble upon some creative use for that ostrich eggshell, perhaps even turning it into a unique piece of art or a lamp base as you mentioned. And who knows, maybe one day you'll come across a recipe that calls for ostrich oil to add a touch of exotic flavor to your culinary adventures. Life has a way of surprising us!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Vlone Hat: an urban essential that takes your style to new heights. With its iconic logo and street-smart design, it's more than just headwear—it's a symbol of attitude and individuality. Rock it with confidence and let your hat do the talking.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Vlone Bucket Hat: Redefining cool with its street-smart vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Vlone Pants: Where comfort meets couture in the world of streetwear. With their edgy designs and premium materials, they're not just trousers—they're a fashion statement. Step into style and make your mark with Vlone.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Chrome Hearts: Where luxury meets rebellion in every exquisite detail.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Chrome Hearts Clothing: Elevating rebellion with luxury craftsmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Chrome Hearts Hoodie: Where luxury meets street in one effortlessly cool layer.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Chrome Hearts Hoodies: Defining luxury streetwear with every stitch. These iconic pieces blend edgy designs with unparalleled comfort, ensuring you stand out in style wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Chrome Hearts Earrings: Bold statements of elegance, designed to captivate.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Chrome Hearts Earring: A sleek emblem of daring style and refined taste.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Chrome Hearts Chain: A striking blend of boldness and sophistication, elevating any outfit with its timeless allure.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The Balenciaga Puffer Jacket: A perfect blend of style and functionality, keeping you warm in the chicest way possible. It's fashion-forward outerwear at its finest.

    ReplyDelete